Thursday, July 9, 2015

Food For Thought

The title of my calling is the Family Preparedness Coordinator. I don't plan on preaching about food storage or making anyone wrong for not being prepared temporally. Even though that is important, being prepared will take more than having enough food and water to survive through the hard times. We are also counseled to gain and build our own testimonies of Christ. For those who want to add to their personal and family's spiritual and temporal preparedness, or feel inspired to start now, I will offer encouragement, suggestions and opportunities. And if you don't feel inspired right now, I hope to be able to change that.

"As for me and my house", we are preparing in every way that we can, every day, every chance we get. It's on our minds more than it ever has been. I have been finding tons of helpful information on lds.org. Click --> here to check it out! Read through the talks and stories and all of the great suggestions that they have about getting our wards and stakes educated and prepared. If you find anything on there that inspires you, feel free to give me your suggestions. I can't promise you that we will be able to do what you suggest, but I promise that I will give it serious consideration and effort whatever that means. I found an inspirational video clip about the saints in Joplin, Missouri. Click --> here to watch it.




I just learned that the direction from the leaders of the church now is to have 3 months of food and water and longer term supply of basic food items. It is no longer suggested or expected of us to have one or two years of food and water.

If you don't have two years or three months of food and water, save what you can now. Just do your best. There will be a day when we will have to depend on the supplies that we have saved. After that, we will rely on miracles with the one fish and loaf of bread that we have left. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin'. Do what you can, the Lord blesses us as we strive to do our best.

At this point, I believe that having a firm testimony or a spiritual reservoir, is more important than reserving food and water! If I had to choose between physical death from starvation or spiritual death; eternal damnation (stopped progression), I would choose starvation.

I love the quote by President Kimball that I have on my home page;

"Your faith will perform miracles, especially when you get your hands and feet involved!" 

I have a testimony of that; we are guided when we seek for it. When God knows your desires and you ask Him for His help, He will show you where to shop for the biggest sales, where to find coupons or even handouts for the things that you want or need to have. I have many stories to share of experiences that reminded me about the fact that He knows our needs, He cares about our wants and wishes and He provides when we do our part.

No comments:

Post a Comment