Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Day 6: He Knows!

I read 1 Nephi 4:20 - chapter 5:6 today. This is the part of Nephi's story where he obtained the plates of brass from Laban and then traveled back with this brothers to their parents' tent in the wilderness. I have always wondered why God did not make this task easier for them. Wouldn't it have been much easier if He would have said; "Before you head out into the wilderness, stop by Laban's house and get the brass plates from him? And then swing by Ishmael's house, take his daughters as wives for your sons and bring them with you." It would have been easier, but what would they have missed out on if He did that? The experiences that provided trials and blessings for building patience; trust in the Lord; humility; trust in their father and husband, Lehi; determination; working together, etc. The talk that I read today is found in the Liahona, entitled Enduring Well, by Elder Neil A. Maxwell. "Rather than simply passing through trials, we must allow trials to pass through us in ways that sanctify us." He said.

"Trying to comprehend the trials and meaning of this life without understanding Heavenly Father’s marvelously encompassing plan of salvation is like trying to understand a three-act play while seeing only the second act. Fortunately, our knowledge of the Savior, Jesus Christ, and His Atonement helps us to endure our trials and to see purpose in suffering and to trust God for what we cannot comprehend.

Revealed truths reassure us that we are enclosed in divine empathy. As Enoch witnessed, we worship a God who wept over needless human misery and wickedness (see Moses 7:28–29, 33, 37). Jesus’ perfect empathy was ensured when, along with His Atonement for our sins, He took upon Himself our sicknesses, sorrows, griefs, and infirmities and came to know these “according to the flesh” (Alma 7:11–12).

He did this in order that He might be filled with perfect, personal mercy and empathy and thereby know how to succor us in our infirmities. He thus fully comprehends human suffering. Truly Christ “descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things” (D&C 88:6)." Knowing this allows me to endure the trials that I am asked to bear. I know that Christ is right there beside me, watching me, empathizing with me and pulling for me to make it through gracefully and graciously, like He did. In all of my aloneness, the suffering that I experience that no one else understands, Christ is there with all wisdom and all understanding. Every pain that I feel, every fear that I experience that causes my heart to ache unnoticed by others, He knows! Click this link to hear a song that inspires the testimony that is in me, sung by Jeremy Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment